As I move around I want to stay connected to people I love. I will try to keep it short and sweet! Send feedback and updates, I want to hear from you!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Around the world in our combi!

Hello Blog Readers!!!!
I have had the best day! It included meeting 3 men from Uruguay (we were so excited to talk to each other!) Then we gave a ride to some volunteers who were also working in the refugee camp, they happened to be from a rehab center, and the conversation was quite interesting. Then we had two Congolese men get a ride into town from the refugee camp, both spoke Swahili so we sang songs with them! By the end of the day we realized that we had 7 different countries represented in our combi (which is a small van).
Any way. I am about to finish my first week of working at the refugee camp. There are a lot emotions felt when working there. I have been frustrated with the situation and the people. Moved by their kindness and patience during a difficult situation and have felt everything in between. At this point the people who caused problems have apologized but all those who are displaced are not going back. The people we get to work with are from Kenya, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Ethiopia, and there are more. The camp has been divided in two because the Somalians, who are Muslim, demanded they have their own camp. Our groups has created two groups to go to each camp. I go to the Somalian side of camp. I knew it would be a little more hostile, and it was! By the way, we are mostly just taking care of the kids while we are there. South Africans are volunteering and helping clean and feed the people, this has been the most encouraging thing to me thus far. The first day was exciting and new and the kids were excited to have us. Day 2: It was raining and we were stuck in tents. Day 3: Our visits were no longer a novelty and it was rainy and the kids had to stay in again. No one was in a good mood. The kids were rowdy and kept hitting me and each other. It was a little rough. Day 4 (today): The people know us and our names and we are SLOWLY learning theirs. I have been able to teach some of the mothers how to read in English. The kids have warmed up to us and the parents trust us now. The sun came out today and we were able to play outside. The kids laughter mixed with the parents laughter (at us singing dumb songs) was.....so beautiful. Just a side note: at the camp I have noticed the Somalian men and their affection towards their children, I am not sure if this is because of the situation but any way, they are very loving. The Somalian men are also a lot more respectful and have the kindest eyes (again my experience with Somalians is limited) . The people from Zimbabwe are also so kind and helpful. The people are physically Beautiful!!!! Their smiles, their deep skin.... God got it right with the Africans.
In the afternoon I go to the townships and this week I have gone to a coloured township. It is called Mountain View and I LOVE it! The two people who work there, Julianna and Timothy, are amazing! The kids are great, and beautiful with their light green, blue, and light brown eyes in contrast to their tan skin! I keep mentioning beauty but I am blown away by it! I have noticed this blog is long so I will wrap it up. Please keep these beautiful people or SA, Somalia, Zimbabwe and the many others in your mind and prayers. There are a lot of people at fault for this situation. On the plane down here the Congolese man beside me said this; "If we think that every one is like (or should be like) us we will never be in peace." And so it is true. When will this stop? Deep disdain because of nationality or race-- absurd! How can love be this difficult?

No comments: