1. 1.I went to watch a Rugby game. (for those of you who don’t know the South African team won the Rugby World Cup, against England)
22. 2. Went to Cape Point, which is the 2nd most southern tip of Africa.
3. 3. I almost got knocked off of some rocks by a massive wave.
4. 4. I went back to the African church and was impacted again, I recorded it!
5. 5. Sorry to everyone who is awaiting pictures, you are going to have to wait because we are limited on the amount of internet we can use. (Boone)
6. 6. I went surfing again and stood up 5(!!!) times!!!!!!!
And now I will share the deep thoughts and concerns. This past Sunday the pastor looked at all the volunteers and said “Are you here because of Jesus?” I was very convicted by this statement and I was reminded that my reason to be here are not about having fun and FEELING fulfilled but the reason for being here in Africa needs to be deeper than that. I need it to be more Christ focused. To be honest, I feel convicted when any one mentions how they are glad that I took time out to come to Africa, I don’t feel like I have taken time out.
Moving on, I have also come to the middle of my time here. I have been here a month and I have a month left. I have a fear that I will not seize each opportunity to serve. Another challenge!! And then I have also been struggling with my future. I know that I am not in a position to say whether I would come back here or not because at this point that would be a very emotionally based decision. Objectivity vs. Subjectivity! Still, I am looking at the end of my college career and life beyond University is a reality now. In talking with a friend tonight I expressed the vulnerable place I am currently in. His reply was that this was a chance for God to do something great.
I end this excited cause I don’t think there is anywhere else I would like to be as I figure out these “things” out. And as vulnerable, unsure, and alone (in a good way) as I feel, and as frustrated I get with my shortcomings and with people or situations that don’t go my way, I LOVE being here!!!!

3 comments:
Hey Jess!! Aunt Debbie here! :)
Bet you didn't know this was going to be such a spiritual journey this summer! Haha! You just thought it was a journey to SA! I love seeing your thoughts written down. You girls amaze me with your insight in your experiences and how you are allowing them to change you. I miss you! And I miss your mom too! I'm in Texas now... I'm praying for you. Blessings-- Deb
Jess, I trust this has been a good week for you. I share your frustrations, especially with situations that don't go my way. I soon walk into the embrace of Jesus and know that His way is better. What a wonderful Savior!
Love, Tia
Jess - thanks for your vulnerability. You are so good at sharing honestly where you are at. I'm excited for you in all of this soul-searching. It's good to be convicted and challenged - it just means He's refining you. I wish I could give you a big hug right now! You're in my prayers as you wonder what the heck you are doing in Africa, in school, and afterwards. Jess, I love you!
Mandi
Post a Comment