I went surfing today! So we went with the kids for surfing lessons today, it was pretty cool. I only got up once but whatever... it was awesome! So I know I haven't blogged for a while but as you may have guessed things just aren't as new any more. I am still enjoying myself so much but i am getting into the swing of things! I have been able to start building relationships, which is what have longed for since I have been here. Here is a brief description of what I am doing. The organization I am working with is holding a "concert" called "Wait 4 Me", which is a promotion for abstinence. My job in all this is to assist the 'life skills educators (these are young adults who put on kids clubs after school and go into the schools and teach basic life skills, kind of like youth pastors). Any how, I get them props for their skits and fill in where ever I am needed. Other than that I work on the computer to get ready for this concert... etc. In the afternoon I work at a kids club and help the life skills educators prepare for those as well. I have been able to hang out with the 'life skill educators' and get to know them better. That has been the best part! I had a great talk with a man named Mandla from Zimbabwe. I was able to hear about his history and I found out that he majored in Community Development. I learned so much from his stories and his experiences, it was was inspiring to hear some one with the same passion and major I have! Mandla may come up in future blogs! The kids club i work at is kind of difficult because the kids don't really care that we are there. We'll see how it goes! That is it for now. Peace
PS: The Refugee camp is not getting better.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Surfing!!! Jess I'm so jealous! I'm so glad you got to go!
I always wanted to try surfing...unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i'd be terrible at it. miss you friend!
Since you didn't mention the cage thing, I assuming (HOPING) you decided against it! Loved the talk yesterday. You amaze me!
Ahggggg! I'M assuming...
Post a Comment